Leak down test results...recomendations?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leak down test results...recomendations?
From: "MICHAEL C ROSS" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:58:11 -0400
 Thanks to Mark Holbrook, I've successfully completed the leak down test of my
GT6+ with unhappy results:
           Compression     leak down      w/ air escaping from
appearance of spark plugs

Cyl #1:         152              70%       intake and #4 spark plug hole
black, dry & sooty.

Cyl #2:         142               70%      intake & exhaust, #4 & 6 plug
holes.   black, dry & sooty.

Cyl #3:         150               70%                #4 & 6 plug holes.
black, dry & sooty.

Cyl #4:         170               25%                oil dipstick hole.
black, dry & sooty.

Cyl #5:         170               35%                 oil dipstick hole.
black, dry & sooty.

Cyl #6:         175               60%                  oil dipstick hole.
black & oily.

My conclusion: Cylinders #4,5,6= bad rings or cylinder walls?

                            "        #1,2,3= bad intake valves, head gasket
leak?

                            "        #2 & 3= bad exhaust valves?

                          Carbs need adjusting, check float levels?

Am I on the right track?  I plan to call the garage tomorrow to schedule the
engine work.  Can anyone give me other recommended service or alterations I
should consider while the head is off and piston rings are being replaced?

TIA
Mike          http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross

63 Mk1 Spitfire
66 Mk2 Spitfire
68 Mk3 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
69 GT6+          (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
70 GT6+