Herald/Sports 1200 Status

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Herald/Sports 1200 Status
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:47:04 -0400
Hi Everyone!

After taking somewhere around an hour to delete about 4000 e-mails, and
transfer around 100 more to files, I figured I'd add to someone else's e-mail
deletion pile... :)

I haven't had a chance to update the website yet, and hope to shortly. Just to
update you guys, here's the latest on my high speed restoration:
(which is only 1 month behind...)

Currently, the rear body is about 85% stripped to bare metal, inside and out.
This will be coated on the inside of the footwells, trunk floor and entire
underside in POR-15. The trunk floor and footwells will also receive their
tie-coat primer. The same applies for the center section, which is about 99%
bare metal at this time.

Welding on the floor sills and patches to the area between the door and rear
wheel openings are all that need to be finished on the rear section.

The center section has had the new drivers footwell welded in. I would have
liked to have a Canley second pattern one, but I ended up using my Rimmer
first pattern, which is not quite as pretty. But it works. :)

The hood has had several small drill holes, and both mirror holes weld filled,
and is awaiting grinding and smoothing. The paint is about 80% stripped.

The frame is now bare of all non-welded on items...It is getting ready to be
stripped, a couple repairs made(Although almost perfect, I found a couple
non-structural spots I was unhappy with.) an it, too, will be POR-15 coated.

Once the frame is ready, and the underside of the body ready, I will be
assembling the body and frame together to be painted. The areas of the frame
in the engine compartment will receive the tie-coat primer as well, as they
are to be painted as they originally would have been.

The axles and differential are all apart, and new bearings are being put in
all over the place. I found the original U-Joints to be in awful condition-
One was discolored and bone dry when I got it apart. I have the new ones
waiting to go in...Also, new trunnion kits are on hand to make them nice. New
bushings all around.(Standard rubber, I'm not much for the other stuff) My
shocks on all four corners were already new. Rear brakes have new 3/4"
cylinders waiting to go in, although I found the old ones were 3/4" as well.
Spares, now :). Stainless steel lines throughout.

The front suspension, and steering, had all been replaced by the last owner,
and are perfectly brand new, with no deterioration. I am replacing the front
spindles to accommodate the Spitfire disk brake setup I have been patiently
refurbishing. (Fitchett's sent a beautiful pair of rebuild kits- only 6GBP
shipping! Of course, the kits came to about $50. US, but one single caliper
would have been more than that, so I did well.) The front wheel bearings are
in good shape, but I did replace a couple cups. New seals from Beck-Arnley.
The steering box is a beautiful NOS the last owner put in.

Happily, the payment arrived from the sale of my 1947 Plymouth, so this week I
will be placing a heavy order with Rimmer's, and an even more heavy interior
kit order from Canley. All I need now is to reassemble, paint and build my
car. Should be ready for riding in the 4th of July Parade..(Celebrate the
birth of American independence by driving a British car!)

The high point of the restoration will be bolting on my NOS Headlamp
trims...oooooohhhh!!! Now I need a pair for the rear light eyebrows...

More later, and hopefully pics on the site soon,

Scott
64 Herald/Sports 1200 Convertible