Boot gas struts

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Boot gas struts
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 04 Jun 2001 05:28:26 -0500
I recently had a problem with the boot gas struts on my wifes Audi 100 Avant,
 one of them died.  It was going into the garage anyway, so I asked them to
 replace the dodgy strut.  They replaced both struts - with ones that were too
 short and too weak.  So now the boot not only did not support itself, it also
 didn't open far enough.  The garage is useless, so I decided to source and fit
 some new gas struts myself - no problem.

This left me with two spare, short-ish gas struts.  Hmm, I thought to myself, I
 wonder.....  Yes, the extended length is the same as the open length of the
 self-catching boot support on Daffy!  Whipped off the old strut, screwed on
 the gas strut, check it opens and closes - wahey, it works perfectly.  So now
 Daffy has a self-opening boot, and, as a bonus, I can open the boot with one
 hand, saving the put-shopping-on-the-wet-ground,
 turn-lock-one-hand-lift-boot-with-other, lift-damp-shopping-into-boot process
 used up until now.

Of course, this leaves me with a spare gas strut, since it took two to fail to
 lift an Audi hatch, but one to be more than strong enough for a Spitfire.
 First person to send me a fiver gets the spare strut for their Spit!  E-mail
 me and I'll give you my address.

Richard and Daffy with the gas-assisted boot-lid