Chassis Numbers

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chassis Numbers
From: rtgetzinger@scif.com
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:12:49 PDT
I have a bit of difference with the California DMV and Highway Patrol in what
my 74 Spit's chassis number is. The number on the registration papers is
FM0014686U and the numbers on the drivers door plate and the windshield plate
is FM14686U (it is missing the two zeros). I would think they should overlook
the two zeros at the beginning. If the officer does not OK the numbers as is
he will assign new ID plates and confiscate my originals, that would be very
unfortunate. Has anyone else run into this problem? Can anyone confirm this
is also the case on their Spit?
Thanks
Rob
Redding, CA