Re: simple doughnut removal

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: simple doughnut removal
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT)
Yah,
it's a bit of a mystery to me too, since I did the job
over 12 years ago! It must not have been too much
bother though, else it would have stuck in my mind.
Probably I removed the spider (drive coupling,
tripod?)
from the outer shaft. I must have had enough sense to
mark it's position before removal, as I had no
subsequent vibration issues.

Carter

--- Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >In my ignorance, I changed the rotoflex donuts on
> my
> >GT6+ without any bearing or hub diasassembly. I did
> >have to disconnect the upright from the spring,
> shock,
> >and lower A arm, etc.
> >
> >Did it in the dirt in my front yard. (dirt,
> nature's
> >own lock-tight)
> Not meant as a flame in any way, BUT do tell. . .
> Please explain just exactly how you did this as I
> would love to know??
> Unless someone put them on the reverse side that
> they would normally be
> installed on, (not sure if that can even be done)
> then the doughnut has to
> pass over the hub/upright assy - even without the
> band in place this would
> be an extraordinary feat to stretch it that far.
> I'm not superman (except
> in my own mind:-}), but fairly able, and I found
> that stretching these
> large rubber pieces any amount requires considerable
> effort (or maybe I am
> just a panty-waist :-})
> Did you slip it over the mounting ears??  I just
> can't visualize how this
> could be done, the doughnuts don't stretch that much
> (and non at all when
> the band is in place for installation), and there
> isn't enough room in the
> center of the doughnut to maneuver it over and onto
> the ears.  I
> personally would love to know if in fact there is a
> way to install these
> without disturbing the hub assy!!
> Maybe I have overlooked something. . .
>

> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net