Re: Doughnuts anyone

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, dean_rayner@mac.com
Subject: Re: Doughnuts anyone
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 08:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hmmm...

In my ignorance, I changed the rotoflex donuts on my
GT6+ without any bearing or hub diasassembly. I did
have to disconnect the upright from the spring, shock,
and lower A arm, etc.

Did it in the dirt in my front yard. (dirt, nature's
own lock-tight)

I will offer one bit of advice however:

Do *NOT* cut the retainer band on the RotoFlex until
*AFTER* you have started the six bolts into the axle
crosses.

The joints are preloaded, and it is very difficult to
get the bolts started without cross threading them. I
wound up using two very long hose clamps hooked
together around the RF to compress the six bolt
sections, to get the bolts started.

Carter Shore

--- Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Dean,
> >One of my rotoflex donuts has started to fall
> appart.
> >One of the bolts has started to pull free from the
> rubber.  How long will
> this last??
> *************************************
> I'm not sure *exactly* what you mean.  The bolts go
> through metal plates
> that are bonded to the rubber.  If you mean that the
> rubber is separating
> from the plate this can be a bad thing depending
> upon how sever this
> separation is.  If you see a complete tear of the
> bond of more than a third
> of the plate/rubber joint(s) then it's time to
> replace the joint SOON.  If
> however, there is only superficial cracks then you
> can probably drive for
> several thousand miles before considering a
> replacement.
> Sorry but replacement is not a job for the faint
> hearted.  The job REQUIRES
> removal of the complete axle assy from the car.
> Then it requires a
> complete disassembly of this axle (puller required
> for separating the hub)
> to get the doughnuts out and replaced.  Also, if
> your are contemplating
> replacing the hub bearings since your disassembling
> the hubs,  you will
> need some special tools to set the bearing pre
> assortment of shims as well. . .BTDT
> After replacing the rear spring in my GT6 this
> weekend, and examining the
> ten year old doughnuts on mine, I had to make the
> same determination.  On
> mine, the cracks have just started and don't appear
> to be that severe.
> Since I only drive this car about once a week I'll
> just keep an eye on it
> till they start getting much worse. Of course then
> It will be replacement
> time, not a job I'll be looking forward to.  The
> spring replacement was job
> enough for now.
>
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
http://auctions.yahoo.com/