The Inaugural Beds/Cambs List Meet

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The Inaugural Beds/Cambs List Meet
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 07:53:54 +0100
Dear All,

Yesterday, Carly finally met Daffy, and I finally met Richard.   The
weather was absolutely glorious and our two cars were in approximately
the same condition (so neither put the other to shame, which was nice!).

We pootled off to TRGB after waiting to see whether Tim Dafforn and
Sophie were going to make it (they didn't, so I presume that Tim's cold
had got no better.   Get well soon, Tim!).   What an amazing place!   A
huge barn full of second-hand Triumph bits kept us both amused for a
couple of hours, and we each managed to pick up bargains that didn't
fit!   (My wiper blades didn't fit the arms I already had, and Richard's
tonneau cover had no headrest inserts and seemed a bit small; his hood
bag was enormous, and presumably once belonged to a TR6!)   TRGB's
prices for second-hand goods are spectacularly low - I paid a total of
GBP15.00 for a set of chrome wheel embellishers, a pair of chrome
wipers, a washer bottle and a complete battery retainer assembly.
Their new part prices are pretty good as well - the few bits and pieces
I bought averaged 36% cheaper than Rimmer Brothers' prices - *and* they
hold stock of things that Rimmer's list as "Not Currently Available".

Whilst we worked on our cars in the car park, there was a steady stream
of immaculate TR6s driving in, plus an MG and an E-type.   A very tasty
white MkIV Spit also made a brief appearance.

The "meeting" broke up when Richard returned home to relieve his wife
from baby-sitting duties, whilst I waited for a chap in a Volvo, who
reckoned he had an original steering wheel and gearknob for Carly, to
reappear.   He turned up eventually, but the steering wheel was too
early (it had the slots cut in the spokes).   The gearknob was spot-on
though, and cost me all of GBP3.00!   I'm pleased to be able to report
that I can now change into reverse without the gearknob coming off in my
hand...

One of the really interesting things about comparing Daffy and Carly was
to see where bits were missing and/or had been retrofitted.   I had no
idea that I was supposed to have engine valances, or a seal on the
bulkhead for the bonnet to rest on, or a battery retainer!   I also
hadn't realised that a previous owner had retrofitted flat-faced MkIV
front indicator/side-light assemblies in place of the angled ones that
should have been present.   I've left them on, because I think they look
nicer, and I'm not so much of a stickler for originality that I will
remove something pretty and replace it with something ugly.

Very many thanks to Richard and his family for being so welcoming, and
to Richard and Daffy for introducing me to TRGB.   We must do this again
soon, and I must avoid importunate Volvo drivers, and make good on my
promise to buy lunch!

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///