Re: Admittedly, I try not to inject politics... (long)

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Admittedly, I try not to inject politics... (long)
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,
I understand that you have been treated badly, and are
rightly upset.

But the SC decision does not grant any new powers to
police. Instead, it affirms the right of local
jurisdiction to arrest and detain anyone that they
believe has committed a criminal offense. Police have
always had this power, some use it with discretion and
common sense, others do not.

The operative phrase is 'criminal offense'.

In Texas, failure to wear a seatbelt is a criminal
offense.

Here in Florida, most such traffic offenses were
decriminalized several years ago. Things like DUI,
leaving the scene of an accident, etc. are still
criminal.

Your Federal officials have no jurisdiction, as
affirmed by the SC decision. You need to lobby your
local and state reps if you want to change things.

Personally, I see this as a good SC call. It keeps the
Federal nose out of local affairs. I have access to my
local officials, I can attend meetings and sessions,
speak out, and even get 1 on 1 meetings with them. The
voices and votes of a relatively small group can
actually influence an election. Not so with my Federal
representatives.

I much prefer that, to having the customs and morality
of the largest and most powerful Federal power blocs
(New York!) imposed on my local community. It's bad
enough already dammit!

Cops have a hard job to do, and lot's of discretion,
both official and defacto. That does not excuse bad
behavior. But everybody has a boss to answer to, and
odds are, they would not condone such behavior to
innocent *voters*.

This is my opinion, YMMV.

Carter

--- "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com> wrote:

> ... into list subjects, but I feel compelled to do
> so now, given a
> recent Supreme Court decision relating to the rights
> of citizens with
> regard to police on-the-spot decisions. There has
> been a case recently
> decided by the Federal Supremes that any police
> officer can detain,
> handcuff and jail any person for any infraction,
> however minor, if not
> specifically exempted by state law.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///