Re: Removing rear wheel cylinders

To: BrYarboro@aol.com
Subject: Re: Removing rear wheel cylinders
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 18:28:50 -0700
BrYarboro@aol.com wrote:

> Hi y'all;
> Bummer! I have a leaky left wheel cylinder on my Mk. 3. I've got the shoes
> off, the brake line off, the hand brake lever off, but how in the heck do I
> remove the wheel cylinder? I can't get the retainer on the back of the the
> backing plate off to remove the wheel cylinder.  What do I do next?
> Thanks,
> Brian Yarborough
> '67 Mk. 3 (up on jack stands)
> '70 organ donor

Once you get the brake line detached, there are two metal parts that snap
together on the inside of the backing plate (that is the part that is
exposed).  They are essentially 2 "U: shaped pieces that slip together from
opposite sides.  Just pull one out and the other will come out very easily
allowing the cylinder to practically fall out.

BTW, these 2 parts are under the rubber seal that you see on the back side
surrounding the part of the cylinder where the line and bleeder are
mounted.

Joe

///