Field Report: Proper VB Choke Cable for late Spitfires / HS4

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Field Report: Proper VB Choke Cable for late Spitfires / HS4
From: "rrdeaver@emagichappens.com" <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 00:59:43 -0400
Many folks on this list have given me very helpful advice.  I hope my
experiences as detailed below will help others that switch from a carb with
automatic choke to one with a manual choke.

Ted Schumaker (http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/) is a wonderful source of
carburetors.  I contacted Joe Curto in New York first, and he referred me to
Ted to get the carbs.  He sold me a pair of SU HS4 1.5" European Carbs for $225
- I cannot wait until they arrive -;-)

As a part of my journey to replace the stock Stromberg 150 CD carb on my lil
brown Spit, I realized I needed a choke cable.  My 1980 Federal model has the
wonderful automatic choke system.  The task:  Figure out what choke cable to
purchase from Victoria British, based on their fine catalog.

Page 63 of their latest catalog (2001 Spring Edition SG.33) lists an inner
choke cable for 69-72 models (part #6-884) and an outer choke cable for 69-80
models (part #6-8162).  I walked up to their city counter in person and asked
for the outer choke cable.

Sure enough, all that the counter person brought out was the outer cable
sheath, along with the integrated locking nut (figure 7 - #12-5248), the washer
(figure 6 - #12-2871) and the choke knob.  They insisted that this was the only
part that applied to my 1980 model.

I sent the man back to try again, asking for part #6-784, the choke cable
listed for the 69-72 models.  Out came a white plastic bag, full of mystery
items.

We opened the bag to discover the following:  The inner choke cable sold
separately as part #6-884 ($14.95), PLUS part #6-8162 ($13.95), the SAME outer
cable listed for the 69-80 model years.  You are getting $28.80 worth of
separately-sold parts for $14.95.

Bottom Line:  If you need a full choke cable assembly for your Spitfire,
Victoria British sells it as #6-784. Save money and headaches and order this
part number.  They also do not list a rubber firewall grommet for the cable.  I
used my catalog from The Roadster Factory to determine the required grommet
size and picked up part #14-739 for $0.99 (5/8" grommet) that fits the cable
perfectly.  The pivot pin that attaches the cable to the carb is #3-8049, which
runs another $3.95.

The adventure to pull the manifolds from my Brown Pony is about to begin.  I
look forward to sharing my experiences, as well as that of totally ripping out
the entire rear suspension and differential, having the diff rebuilt and
reinstalling the works with a new spring, KYB shocks and urethane all around.

Ron Deaver
1980 Russet Brown Spitfire
Issaquah, WA (though onsite in Lenexa KS for the week)