Spitfire 1500 Seats & RCI seats

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500 Seats & RCI seats
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 17:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
After 6 or 7 weeks, I finally got my new seats this
past Friday. I spent all day Saturday trying to figure
out how to mount these in the car. (Being a hot-rod
design, they are not going to just bolt right into a
British car after all).

Well, after several hours of tinkering, I got the
passenger side to fit and it looks pretty good.
Sunday, I started to do the driver's side and I ran
into "problems" which I'll save you the details of,
but suffice it to say that the car is not drivable
(unless you've REALLY long legs.

The stock seats are out of the car, and I will be
selling them, though I still need to take photos of
the driver's side frame/squab assembly. I should have
them as well as a few other items on the Totally
Triumph auction site (assuming it's still available
for use) by this weekend.

As a note about RCI racing seats: I will also take
photos once I have completed the work I'm doing so you
can see the results. You'll notice that there are
several assumptions that I'd made that are incorrect.

-I assumed that the ABS seats would have a narrower
profile, and also since the mounting job is custom
that the seats would move further back. I was wrong.
Leg room hasn't changed.
-I assumed that the "low back" seats would be low
enough to fit under the tonneau. I was wrong. ("Crap")
-I assumed that a 15" wide seat would fit easily
within the width of the cockpit. I was wrong.

Now, never let it be said that I can't admit that I
was wrong. (I want you to all bear witness of this in
the off-chance that someday I get married and my wife
tells me that I can't admit that I'm wrong.)

I was correct that with the mounting hardware and the
"rigid plastic seat bottom" that a person will sit
slightly higher (about 1"). And I was correct that
they're a lot lighter than stock. I personally think
that they look good, and I like the rigid bolsters,
but hate the non-recline feature of a solid seat.

Would I suggest that anyone else put RCI race seats in
a small car like a spitfire? Hell no. They probably
fit perfect in a Chevy Nova.

-Terry
P.S. All proceeds from the sale of seats and other
items going on the auction this week(end) will be
going to support the Autox.team.net fund drive (even
though i already donated. I know. I'm such a mensche.
Hold your applause...The proceeds will be my
"spitfire's" way of donating). But please be patient
work is a dog recently and the "problem" my car is
having is keeping me busy. (So busy that I'm writing
long emails! Actually, I had to take a break).
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///