It's Alive!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: It's Alive!
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:24:36 EDT
Hi folks!
I purchased my '67/'68 Mk.3 in late Oct., was unable to get it started before
the cold weather came, and started trying again this spring. Yesterday, I
finally got it running! First I had to replace the brake MC, rebuild the
clutch MC and slave cylinders, drain the gas, remove the tank, clean out the
rusty sludge/sediment, & reinstall the tank. When it still wouldn't start, we
blew out the obstruction between the pump and the tank and finally had good
gas flow.
The car runs, but roughly. I've replaced points, condenser, plugs, cap,
rotor, wires, set point gap correctly, etc., but it is still rough. The left
carb. piston causes the engine to drop revs. When raised, but the right-hand
one shows no effect when raising the piston. Idle is a wee bit high, 900 to
~1300 RPM, power is inconsistent, sometimes it feels good, other times it has
no power, except at higher revs.
The car wasn't run in 3-4 years, as I said, the gas tank was rusty, and there
was water in the lines. I would guess that some of the problems are due to
crap in the fuel system, but I'm not sure where to start with tuning the
carbs. Should I run it as is to blow out junk in the fuel system or trying
tuning them from scratch? What have you found to be the most effective way to
tune badly out of tune SU HS2's? Also, there appears to be no provision on
the transmission for a backup switch, and It appears that the tranny is a
replacement from an earlier model. Did the Spitfire 4's and Mk.2's have a
switch for the reverse lights?
Any help you folks can give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian Yarborough
'67/'68 MK 3
'70 organ donor
PS. I went to the Britfest '01 in NJ yesterday, and there were a ton of
beautiful TR's, but not many spits. Still, it was great to see all the LBC's.

///