Re: 1500 Venting

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Venting
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:39:06 -0500 (EST)
Trevor Responded

>Joe Curry wrote:
>>
>> Craig (and all),
>> I came to all my conclusions about Spit 1500 oil blowby from
>> personal experience.  Not needing any emissions stuff on a
>> Mk1 (where my 1500 engine resides), I found no need to put all
>> that heavy and restrictive stuff on the engine
>>
>  I think we are back to the old problem where "emissions"
> devices are removed without being fully understood.
>
>  The proper, original venting system consists of a bit of hose
> and a few plastic bits, like tees and restrictors. It doesn't
> cost horsepower, and probably weighs about 100 grams tops.
>
>  The system you seem to have replaced it with is more
> complex, messier, requires cleaning, and I'm sure the
> catch jar alone weighs as much as the original system. It
> also pollutes, and saves no horsepower.
>
>  So you speak of removing "heavy and restrictive stuff",
> when it is obviously neither. I just have to ask, why?
>
>  The original system is clean, light, efficient, and
> causes no ill effects such as lost power or driveability. It
> also keeps your underbody and driveway cleaner.
>
>  Why would you change it?
>
>  Again, it keeps coming back to this, if people were
>  responsible for their own cars, maybe legislators wouldn't
>  have to legally force you to lift your hood once a
>  year to prove you haven't "invented some new vent system".

Trevor,
What the hell is wrong with you?  Apparently, you either can't read or don't
comprehend what I am saying.

The emissions gear that is removed consists mainly of a lump of steel called
an "air pump" weighing a whole hell of a lot more than the plastic radiator
catch bottle that I am using as a catch tank.

And in case you didn't understand, I will repeat, "The 1500 engine is in a
Mk1 Spitfire where no emissions equipment is required?.  In my particular
case I didn't get the emissions stuff when I bought the engine and even if I
had, I wouldn't have used it.

While I don't advocate that people disable the factory emissions equipment,
I will provide whatever knowledge I have gained from personal experience to
those who choose to.

I guess you really ought to actually own a Spitfire to understand these
things.

Joe