Re: Brakes

To: "Craig Smith" <CraigS@iewc.com>,
Subject: Re: Brakes
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:14:59 -0800
Craig,

Sorry to hear about this.  It could be several things.

1. pinhole leak somewhere in the brake lines causing gradual fluid loss.
2. loose or stripped fittings in the brake lines causing gradual fluid loss.
3. leak in the seals of rear wheel cylinder seals causing gradual fluid
loss.

You say that you have "NO leaks", correct?  In this case, your M/C reservoir
should be near the fill line with DOT 5.  If it isn't, you've had a slow,
small leak that has gone undetected.  There's no other way around it.  If
your M/C is indeed, full of fluid, then I have absolutely no idea...

Remember, to check your brake and clutch fluid levels on a monthly basis.
This should be done no matter how often you drive the car.  Using DOT 5 may
have given you a false sense of security, but unless you replaced EVERY
rubber component in your brake circuit and properly flushed the system with
denatured alcohol before loading up the DOT 5, my guess is that one or more
of those rubber components have failed you, or it's the steel brake line
itself somewhere.

I've used DOT 5 now for over a year with terrific results, but I've also
been keeping an eye on fluid levels.  Conversions to DOT 5 must be performed
carefully with NO shortcuts taken for the best results.  I'm really sorry
that you had this unfortunate experience while driving.  I assume you were
able to safely bring your car to a halt with the e-brake.  Good luck in
discovering the problem.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and..The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!