Re: introduction

To: Dale Seeley <DSeeley1@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: introduction
From: Robert Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:33:34 -0500
Welcome Dale:
    I have & had a tonneou cover on every Triumph I've ever owned! (8)  I by
far, favor the use of the tonneoe. For the most part a well fitted cover
will keep your car dry. It also works very well keeping you warm, with the
drivers side undone while driving in fairly brisk fall day's in New England.
There is something really great about driving the car with the cover zipped
up around you.
    As for the comment that the "Headrest pockets fill up with rain water &
leak"  This can be avoided by simply raising the headrests before you
install the cover. With this done it forms a tent like feature, and a good
coat of any brand of vinyl coating (ArmourAll) the rain beads and runs off.
    It is also great when you have some items in the passenger compartment.
While maintaining a very sport look.
    I say go for it! FYI:  I also have a very nice hardtop for my TR6. For
me though it's all about having the top down!
    Bob Greene
76 TR6
73 Spit
Cape Cod British Car Club

Dale Seeley wrote:

> Hi there, I just subscribed to the list today after purchasing a 1978
> Spitfire.  I promise to not have anything to do with China while we own
> this car.
>
> I'm Dale Seeley, located in Rochester, NY and couldn't pass up the car
> after learning it was for sale.  You see, the latest and greatest
> technology has always drawn me so I've purposefully avoided the old
> British cars.  It's true, I almost brought home a TR7 about a year ago,
> but the owner managed to sell it the morning that I went to pick it up.
> After starting a long term project, 1960 Fiat 600, I realized that I
> really do need a source of oil spots in the driveway, and then this car
> entered my life.
>
> It's white, was previously owned by Spitfire fanatics, they have four
> others, and appears to be in pretty darn good shape.  There's 48K miles
> on the odometer, and has a recently installed clutch assembly.  The
> Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder have been recently rebuilt, and all
> the electrics save the radio work.
>
> The soft top needs replacing, the frame is still there, and the car also
> has a matching hardtop.  This is where I need to take a moment and
> gush.  There are very few convertibles that have an optional hardtop
> that actually looks good on the car.  If my wife decides that the car is
> too much trouble for her, meaning she'd prefer something a little more
> modern like a Miata, I'll have no problem reinstalling the top and
> driving it like that.
>
> After being completely unsuccessful at searching the archives, I have a
> basic newbie question.  Since I've been unable to locate the answer at
> various websites, I'm hoping it's not one of those 'questions that
> remain unasked' that I've stumbled across with the Fiat.
>
> When using the tonnenou (searching an archive would be easier if I could
> spell the word I suppose) cover, just how effective is it at keeping
> water out of the car?  I'm assuming my wife will prefer to drive the car
> top-down and install the cover while it's parked and she is working.  If
> it rains, will the interior remain dry, mostly dry, there will be a dry
> spot, or 'bring a bathing suit, it's hot tub time'?
>
> Thanks again for your help, and to add my data point to your cost of a
> Spitfire (not in China) discussion, I believe the purchase price of
> $2200 was fair for this car, considering I have no idea what I've got
> myself into.  There is some rust near the front turnsignals on the
> bonnet and along several of the seams, needs tires, and also needs the
> installation of the rear spring and the trunion that are included with
> the car.  It doesn't have any body repairs, remains straight, and the
> doors close nicely.  After the Fiat episode, I refuse to look at the
> floorboards with the understanding that ignorance is bliss.
>
> Have fun,
> Dale

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rgreene.vcf]