RE: brake failure & Lemons

To: "'Terry Thompson'" <firespiter@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: brake failure & Lemons
From: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:37:17 -0600
A big ATABOY to ya Terry !

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Thompson [mailto:firespiter@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 9:29 PM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net

What would truly worry me is if no one cast a critical
eye on a car.

Engine fires? (I don't know of anyone that's had a
spitfire engine catch on fire. My brother's Firebird
did though.) I'm surprised they didn't mention the
malfuctioning pop-up headlamp motors on TR7/8 cars. Or
the head warping on Stags (I love the look of stags,
but that engine was a dog).

Spitfires have the infamous swing-axle tuck (which is
a serious issue at high speeds and almost a non-issue
with around town driving), the sump filling up with
thrust washers on 1500's, overheating (Triumph
engineers were oblivious to the climates of other
countries evidently), and the fan in the radiator
trick for the viscus fans, and of course rusting like
a two-penny nail in a pirates peg-leg (but what
60's-80's cars didn't?).

It's odd that even though there are some documented
issues with spitfires, the American and European
markets continued to give the car such high praise
through it's production run.

Do you have the book in front of you Fred or was that
relayed to you from someone else? I'm interested to
know if the Corvair ("unsafe at any speed") is in the
list. (And my brother had a Ford Pinto, that I took my
driving test in. If there is any car that I've been in
that I wondered "how the hell did this ever pass
safety regulations? it would be a Pinto.....oh, and a
Geo Metro.)

-Terry
'76 spitfire 1500 (No engine fires...yet)