Re: Manual for general knowledge.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Manual for general knowledge.
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:56:35 -0800
"Scott A. Roberts" wrote:

> Joe,
> I hate to disagree, but I found Haynes to be downright confounding at times.
> I had one for my 85 Impala, and there was very little of use to me in there.
> Sure, it told a lot, but none of it was relevant. Chilton is at least
> practical, but neither will tell you what the factory one will. And, one
> thing I found with my large factory manual- everything I needed to know in a
> hurry, was readily available, and easy to find. Try finding exact torque
> specs(not just bolt size recommended torques) or tune up specs in Chilton!
> Good Luck.

Folks, I've found the haynes and chiltons both vary quite a bit
in quality depending on the specific car they are covering. The
books for different models are not all done by the same people.
The haynes for the spitfire is actually quite good. The haynes I
have for the sentra powerplant that I used in my spit is
much less informative, mostly because it covers a larger range of
different cars, and glosses over a lot of the complex systems.
Spitfires are simple enough to where even a haynes manual can
cover it in detail. For $16 new, the haynes gives you a pretty
good overview.
My general experience with chiltons is even worse, because
they tend to cover even more models in even more general terms.
Plus, they have less pictures.

As always, your mileage may vary ;-)
[...]

--
Reed Mideke
email: rfm(at)cruzers.com  -If that fails:  rfm(at)portalofevil.com