Gauges, readings, and fuel floats, Oh My!

To: "spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gauges, readings, and fuel floats, Oh My!
From: "Raoul Rodriguez" <raoul@calweb.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:04:14 -1000
My quest to have a fully functional dash has reached a
new area... the fuel gauge.

My fuel float is about 1/2 to 2/3 full of gas, which, as
I understand it, is a "Bad Thing"(tm).  It would also explain
why my gauge reads that I have 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank when
I have just filled it up to the top of the neck.

I took out the fuel sending unit and discovered the
fuel in the float.  So, I thought that would be
the fix to my problem... however, I checked how
the gauge reads when the sending unit is in the
"full" position, and I discovered that the fuel
gauge *will* read full, However, it required that
I "tap" on the dial to "unstick" it... it did
not move "fluidly" it moved in a jerking fashion.

So, do you think I need to replace the fuel gauge
as well?  Or is it possible to get into it and
clean it out so it moves more smoothly?

(I just replaced the voltage regulator as well)

Suggestions?

Raoul