Torque Talk

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Torque Talk
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 18:34:56 -0500
Greetings to all.  The nut holding on the crankshaft pulley
came loose on my car and I had to tighten it back down today.
Since I don't have the correct size socket, I ended up clamping
locking pliers perpendicularly out from the nut and then turning
that with a 10 inch pipe wrench.  I leaned on it with most of
my weight - 180 pounds.  It's supposed to be torqued to 150
ft/lbs and intuitively it seems that I'm all right, but I think
that those in the know could actually mathematically quantify
this.  Could someone let me know how to calculate approximate
torque from the above info if that is possible?  (Completed
answers are also cheerfully accepted!  B-) ).

TIA!

Greg Rowe