Car not starting!

Subject: Car not starting!
From: "John Hobson" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:17:42 -0000
A couple of days ago after coming back from my local (South Yorkshire) TSSC
meet the bottom heater hose cracked at the top and I had steam coming from the
bonnet and the car overheated to about 3/4.  Anyway after waiting for the AA
for an hour in another TSSC member's car (much thanks to Mike), who stopped
behind me, the AA gave me a lift back on the low-loader.  Once home I was able
to start the car to move it off the road, but not into the garage as there was
another car in the way.

Anyway, last night I tried to move Saskia into the garage, but she wouldn't
start!  The starter turned over fine, and I'm pretty sure that the battery is
ok as the lights and wipers work fine, just that the engine shows no signs of
trying to work.

Any ideas why this may have happened, I don't think there should be an engine
problem as she started fine 2 hours after the breakdown when the engine was
cool again.  She has been sitting in fairly heavy rain for 2 days, but has
never had any wet/cold start problems before (in fact has always started first
or second try).  Any suggestions of a problem finding sequence I could try?  I
have not yet replaced the broken hose as I'm waiting for the replacement to
come from Kippings (should come today).  The ignition system is standard 1500
system.

Any help is very much appreciated,
cheers,
John & Saskia (1977 Spit 1500)