Re: Steering Wheel Help.

To: jcullum <jcullum@chorus.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Help.
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2000 09:04:34 -0500
Jason,

BFH (Big F****** Hammer) is the only way I know to do this.  I had this problem
 both on Daffy, and Sammy (the MG BGT I once owned).  Screw the nut back onto
 the shaft, until most of it is engaged on thread.  Jam your knees behind the
 steering wheel and pull your legs towards you as hard as you can.  Then take
 your BFH and whack the nut.  Putting the nut on the wheel serves two purposes
 - first, if you whacked the shaft, you'd spoil the thread, but whacking the
 nut doesn't damage much - second, it stops the wheel flying into your face
 when it eventually does break free!

It may be possible to put a puller on the wheel and the shaft, and then give
 the whole thing a big whack - often, that bang is enough to free the whole
 thing up, if there is enough load on it.

Good luck, and I hope my Brute Force and Ignorance approach works for you!

Richard & Daffy