Re: Spitfire Information wanted ...

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Information wanted ...
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:44:13 +0100
Hi All
To make life easier the 1300 FWD had the same basic engine as the Spit, the
differences were the cam and the crank shaft. The crank has basically the
same format as the rear wheel drive cars, except that the front pulley seat
on the RWD cars is plain and the FWD cars have a taper, the taper is to
transmit the extra torque of the starter motor as this vehicle would have
had the starter motor mounted on the front of the engine and the ring gear
on a light alloy carrier was bolted to the front pulley. Note the starter
motor for these cars turns the wrong way! the cam was different as the Spit
had twin carbs and the (RD no) 1300 FWD engine was single carb. The 1300TC
(RF no) has the same cam as the Spit.

Graham.
2500PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite