Re: O/D speeds

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O/D speeds
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:26:24 +0100

Graham,

The usual reason that I hear for fitting a 5-speed over an overdrive (apart from
availability) is weight.  But you're right, I'm not sure that this would be
relevant to Laura (especially since she seems to be happy with her 4-speed!)

As for third and a half gear, I personally find it too close to 4th to be really
useful.  I sometimes use it when I'm cruising at around 30-40mph, simply because
it's easier to flick a switch to get the revs up when I want a bit more power
than it is to down-shift from 4th to 3rd - but I never use it as a "stepping
stone" from 3rd to 4th. YMMV depending on driving style, I guess.

Dean