Jacking questions

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jacking questions
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 11:14:45 -0700
Hello fellow Spitfire fans!!

The weekend has arrived and I'm getting ready to replace the seal on my oil
pan (again, but this time with Permatex 2 on both sides of the gasket
instead of dry).  The last time I changed out the gasket, it was a pain in
the neck because I didn't have enough room to crawl around under there.  My
floor jack reached it's lifting limit well before the jackstands reached
theirs.

I was planning on placing a 2 X 4 or a 4 X 4 under the front and rear cross
frame cross members when jacking to apply the weight distribution more
evenly and to gain another 2"-4".  Anything wrong with this plan?

BTW, up until now, I've been using the differential to jack up the rear --
the PO's used the frame and I see where it's filled with all kinds of little
dents from previous lifts.  Anything I should be concerned with, there?  The
frame is straight -- just dinged up a little.  TIA

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!