RE: Splitfires

To: "'Terry L. Thompson'" <tlt@digex.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Splitfires
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:50:14 -0700
Terry, I think you mean electrode and not diode.  A diode has low resistance
in one direction, and very high resistance in the other.  A spark plug has
the same [high] resistance in both directions.

The only advantage I have observed with the Splitfire plugs is that they
might need re-gapping less often.  The spark has two paths it can take to
ground from the split electrode and will take the path of least resistance
(the shortest of the two gaps).

The Bosch Platinum plugs I am using only have about 20 miles on them so it
is too soon to tell how they will hold up over time.  Platinum is often used
as a catalyst  to speed up a chemical reaction without actually entering
into the reaction itself and becoming a by-product.  This is high school
chemistry.  My hope is that the Bosch engineers have at least been educated
in simple chemistry and know how to successfully use Platinum in this manner
so that we don't have to worry about it burning off after a few hundred
miles.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)