Wiring/solenoid/starting problems

To: "SpitList" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wiring/solenoid/starting problems
From: "Nicholas S Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 15:19:17 -0700
It seems to be my turn to ask for help. I just insured my 78 for the summer,
and now its punishing me for ignoring it all winter.
Background: The car was parked in the winter, but it started up fine and
drove home. A week later, after insuring for the summer, at first it
wouldn;t start. The starter turned the engine, but no spark. I wiggled
wires, (to coil and solendoid) and then it was fine.
Now, when turning the key, the ignition and oil lights come on, but when I
turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. The starter does not
turn the engine, and the solenoid does not click.
I have changed the solenoid to a known good one, but still no joy.
Of the wires to the solenoid, the forward one with two wires, white red and
white orange,has 12 volts all the time, regardless of the key position. The
rear wires, white red and plain white, has nothing with the key off, and
about 8 volts when the key is in the on or start position.
Plaintive cry: can anyone please help, it finally stopped raining in
Vancouver, and my Spit won't run!

Nick Moseley