Dated Components

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dated Components
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:02:11 -0700
    While assembling my '73/74/75 or 76 Spitfire from boxes of bits,
I've noticed what seem to be manufacturing dates stamped into various
parts.

    The date identification of Triplex windshields and window glass is
already documented on someone's Spitfire pages.  Mention has also been
made of date stamps on windshield wiper motors.

    I beleive the date is marked in a 3 or 4 digit number indicating
week and year of manufacture is stamped on many other components.
Before someone says these are part numbers - I don't think so because
they are consistantly 3 or 4 digits only, too short for a part number,
and they are stamped at various locations and orientations on the same
piece, eg window winder arms.

    Dating is common practice in electronics manufacture, although the
year usually preceeds the week.

    I'd like to make a database of all components found in Spitfires
that have date stamps.  So far I have:

ITEM                                    LOCATION
EXAMPLES
Window winder assembly       on main raising arm               876 and
20WB74 (curious what the WB means)
Horn (Clear Hooters)            on cast aluminum back           5274
Horn (Lucas)                        on cast aluminum back            270

Seat Belt Buzzer unit            on
ICs                                     7327    (ie 27th week of '73)
Door Latch unit                    on rivet head of lock release     9
76

    With enough dated pieces on a car, one could make an approximate
conclusion of the date when a particular vehicle was assembled despite
what the commission plate or reg papers state.  Of course there are
always swaps and replacements.

    Would you care to send me descriptions like the above of,  dated
parts you've found?

Cheers, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,