Re: LBC prejuduce sure stings

To: dayton carpenter <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: LBC prejuduce sure stings
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:06:25 -0700
Dayton,
I have to disagree on the properties of Lacquer (acrylic lacquer in any
case).  It may fade and be subject to damage from brake fluid, but it is
far from brittle and if cared fore can be quite durable.  The acrylic
lacquer actually never completely dries.  It actually suspends the
pigment particles in the paint and that is why it tends to fade in harsh
sunlight.

The particles are drawn to the surface where they oxidize.  then when
the owner polishes it, the pigments are polished away and after time, it
starts to take on a faded look.  THis is particularly true of metallic
paints and the very light shades of gray, silver and blue.

Regards,
Joe

dayton carpenter wrote:

> Just a note on paint.  Lacquer paint is a thing of the past.  It is brittle,
> not durable, susceptible to fading and DOT 5 brake fluid, needs to be sanded
> and buffed between coats.  It is old paint technology.  Sure if you have an
> early Corvette worth mega-bucks and want to keep it OEM then go with
> lacquer.
>
> The best paint now in term of durability, appearance, etc is urethane epoxy.
>   It is also resistant to DOT 5 Brake fluid.
>
> Dayton J. Carpenter, Esq.
> President of International Business and Legal Affairs
> Foundsoft Science & Technology Group
> 12 F Office Plaza World Trade Centre Zhejiang
> 15 Shuguang Road
> Hangzhou,  Zhejiang Province  310007
> China
>
> Tele:  86-571-795-0135 ext 8011
> Fax:    86 571-795-0137
>
> >From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
> >To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Re: LBC prejuduce sure stings
> >Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:22:40 -0500
> >
> >Getting ripped-off by mechanics isn't a Sexist thing. It's a "most
> >mechanics are a*sholes" thing. When I first bought my spitfire back in '96,
> >I didn't even know how to change the spark plugs...So I took to my dad's
> >mechanic.
> >
> >Within 3 months, I'd totaled $2000 in bills. In month six, I threw a rod,
> >killed the engine and searched for a new mechanic. After I started
> >replacing items on the car, I realized....What the hell did I spend $2000
> >on? Nothing was ever replaced!...
> >
> >Well, lets see here...
> >-$75 to replace the valve cover gasket.
> >-Hmmm..$90 to "re-hang" the muffler...(That was the piece of rubber tire
> >they had screwed into the rear tub of my Spitfire with machine
> >screws....Man those machine screws weren't the onlything getting screwed)
> >-Ah yes...$140 to replace my front brake pads. Must have been the gold
> >plated ones I asked for.
> >-Oh...here we go...3 months later (took it in for an oil change) $89 to
> >replace ANOTHER valve cover gasket (must be a known defect in
> >Spitfires..Anyone got a service notice on that?).
> >-And this my favorite bill...$280 to replace the timing chain and timing
> >chain cover gasket.....And I had to supply them with the gasket and chain.
> >
> >(I figure I've paid my "stupidity tax" and a few other's share as well.)
> >
> >This place is still my father's regular mechanic shop.
> >
> >People are just a-holes in general. They'll screw you any way they can if
> >you give them half a chance.
> >
> >I've also had difficulty looking for body shops. I heard of a member on the
> >Triumph mailing list that had his TR6 painted by his local high
> >school/college shop class. I believe it cost him about $200 for the paint
> >and some other "supplies". But it was perfect. If any of the students
> >flubbed anything, the teacher made them redo it. I seem to remeber it
> >taking about 6 months, but $200 for a perfect down to the metal repaint
> >isn't too bad.
> [...]

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer