Re: tire size / RPM connection {LONG!}

To: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: tire size / RPM connection {LONG!}
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:36:30 -0500 ()
[WARNING: DELETE NOW IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT TIRE SIZES AND SPEEDO
READINGS, ETC.!!!]

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Carter Shore wrote:

> This was an issue because of a speeding ticket I got,
> had to go get a certificate of calibration from a
> Licenced Speedo shop, take it before the judge.

Been there, almost did that. Would've, except:

a. Speedo was inoperative at the time of the ticket, and I informed the
ever-so-nice peace officer of that fact. Perhaps not the smartest thing to
do.
b. I went to Traffic Court almost HOPING to be able to stand before the
judge and talk about x number of mph for every 1000 rpm of the tachometer,
which I was religiously monitoring, etc., yadda, yadda, blah, blah....But
before that could happen, all of us heinous speed demons were ushered into
a room full of State Troopers (the ones who caught all of us) for what
could best be described as a one-on-one gang plea bargain session. "Ya
look like a nice young man (ha) Mr. Mace, and your record is good (da*n
straight it is). How 'bout we just settle for -- instead of 72 in a 55
zone -- a reduced charge of 'speed unreasonable and prudent (and allow
this fine township only seventy of your hard-earned dollars to pay for
their next junket)?" [No, I'm not at all cynical about the process.]
c. I think the tach is a bit pessimistic (yes, I know I'm using that word
correctly this time. Hi, Jeff. :-) ) in the car I was driving ('72 Mk.IV).

> FWIW, using the formula, gets 18 MPH/1000 RPM with
> 4:11 rear and 25" dia tires. So it depends on the size
> of your thumb.

I'm really NOT trying to pick a fight, Carter, but I think your thumb
stayed too long on one of the keys of the calculator. ;-) Seriously, I
have no problem with the math, only the figures you input.  Doing some
quick scanning of some tire company web sites, I find that tires in the
25" diameter range are sizes such as P195/70R14, or maybe a 185[80]R13 or
105/70R13, or maybe even the 165SR15 -- all far too big (tall) a tire for
any Spitfire (IMHO). The diameter we'd be looking at for the average
Spitfire is more like 22.5-23.5". [Numbers based in part on info from
Dunlop -- specifically SP40 and SP20 Metric tires.]

> So I used the 'conservative' number (20) thereafter,
> because it meant that at indicated 2,000 RPM, I was
> actually a bit below the 40 MPH speed limit....

If you look at it that way, you should have been fine; 2000rpm would
equate to about 32-24 mph unless you've got some of those really big tires
I mentioned above.

> This makes a difference if you live in 'revenue
> hungry' or 'zero tolerance' jurisdictions.

See above. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22) *