RE: Spitfire collisions/safety

To: "'Susan Hensley'" <susan@bearcom.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire collisions/safety
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:21:33 -0500
Well, my worst accident WAS a driver's side collision.  A pickup truck was
speeding through a one lane construction zone head on at us and hit me and
my brother.  I thought we were dead when I saw that huge grill coming at us.
I turned to the right, off the one open lane into the
under-construction-lane and that's when he T-boned us.  No apparent
injuries.  The next day I had a sore spot on the right side of my head and
my brother had one on his left side.  We must have hit heads.  I don't think
we had seat belts on (in 1974).  I can't explain why we weren't really
injured more, BUT I can say that turning out of that lane prevented a head
on, which I'm sure would have been ugly.   Old truck, bald tires, skid marks
a mile long, known local punk and bad boy at the wheel and the cop said he
couldn't issue a ticket. Unless he issued it to me for improper lane usage.
Funny guy.  In hindsight, I could have sued the State DOT and the
contractor, but...that was another time.

Interesting thoughts on the shoulder belt/convertible issue.  My wife's
Mustang does have the shoulder belt design; I don't think they can be used
only as lap belts.

Terry Banbury