Mufflers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mufflers
From: Doug Braun <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 14:54:27 -0500
Hello,

I need to get a new stock muffler for my '72.  The one I currently have
("Timax" brand) has failed due to cracking of the seam between the tailpipe
and the muffler body.  Since the right-hand mounting bracket
is attached to the tailpipe, this joint bears part of the weight of the
muffler.

Does anyone know who actually makes the mufflers carried by the various
parts vendors?  Are there any brands that are especially well (or poorly) made?
I think I got my current one from Vicky Brit 7 or 8 years ago.

I have seen a picture of one muffer where the tailpipe does clear through
the muffler body, and its blank end sticks out a little on the front side.
This would obviously be a lot stronger, but I have no idea who ever
made it, or where I could buy it...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit