RE: Clutch slave cylinder bleeding

To: "'GIBSON,PETE (A-England,ex1)'" <pete_gibson@agilent.com>,
Subject: RE: Clutch slave cylinder bleeding
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:54:53 -0800
Pete;

I did a modification of this sort a couple of weeks ago.  The tubing
extension I used was standard hydraulic tubing you can get at any auto parts
store.  It comes with a male fitting on both ends.  I added a double female
connection (also available at auto parts stores) to one end to allow the old
bleed screw to be attached to this end.  From memory I think the thread size
for these is 3/16 - 20 (?).  Make sure you get the kind of hydraulic piping
in which the ends are convex or it will leak "big time".  I also fashioned a
small bracket to anchor the end of the pipe that goes into the engine
compartment.  As I recall the total cost was well under $10 for the pipe,
adaptor, and bracket, and it saves many hours when one needs to perform this
bleeding task.

I found that this modification works great and there is no need to "rip out
the interiors" just to bleed the clutch hydraulics.  Now I need to design a
method of checking and filling the transmission fluid that will be just as
easy.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)