Re: 74 Is Alive!/elec. feul pump

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 Is Alive!/elec. feul pump
From: jblair@exis.net
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:15:42 -500
Terry L. Thompson wrote:

>I've been debating where to mount my electric fuel pump,
>and one of the suggestions is that the pump should be below
>the fuel tank (when the car is level) so that the pump is
>gravity fed, and has less work to do.
>
>The two places I've considered are A) in the trunk near
>the gas tank which is some distance from the carb or B)on
>the frame perhaps next to the starter, which puts it very
>close to road debris from the tires.

Terry,

   You are better off mounting the pump near the gas tank.
This will eliminate vapor lock, as the pump will always have
fuel to pump.  If any of the gas vaporizes in the lines near
or at the car, the liquid fuel will push it into the carb where
it will be vented.

   As to worring about fuel shut off, I think this has been
over sold in the newer cars.  The MGBs had electric fuel pumps
and I don't remember any fancy circuits or such to turn them
on and off.

   However, if you are really worried about that, you could
design a circuit that would look for pluses from the points
(like the newer cars) and as long as there are pulses the pump
would run.  If the eng stalled, or wrecked, and no pulses for
several seconds, the circuit would turn off power to the pump.

John

John T. Blair   jblair@exis.net
Va. Beach, Va.