Re: Windshield and Front Springs - New question

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield and Front Springs - New question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:34:45 -0500
At 10:23 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Patrick Bowen wrote:

>1.) I pulled my two front springs, my driver side is 1/4 inch shorter than
>the passenger.  I know this is due to the drivers side problem.  However I
>have a spare spring that matches up with my passenger side spring height.
>Should I simply switch the springs that were on the car, putting the short
>one on the passenger side - anticipating the two will balance out after I
>start driving.  Or should I use the two springs that are of the same height
>and possibly face this again in the future?

Patrick,

   I would go with the 2 matching springs.

>2.) I am preparing to paint the car and would like to pull out the
>windshield, but do not want to fight with it to put it back in.  The
>windshield is in good condition, the seal however has seen better days.  I
>would like to avoid either new paint on the seal, or old paint (different
>color) peaking out from under the seal.  I also do not have any desire to
>pay someone to do this.  I do have a backup windshield in cause of fatal
>errors.

I would cut the top off the windshield gasket, and remove the windshield.
Then check the window frame for rust.  There were 3 sections of the lower
windshield channel missing for a total length of about 7" on my Spit.  No
wonder the PO could not stop the water from leaking in!

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org