Re: Front springs

To: jfl@neoucom.edu
Subject: Re: Front springs
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:40:43 -0500
FWIW, the 13-coil spring (if it has the same wire characteristics as
the 10-coil sprint) will be softer.  Springs in series add like
resistors in parallel.  Assume 150 lbs/inch for the 10-coil spring;
the 3-coil additional spring would exhibit an equivalent rate of 500
lbs/inch.  The 13-coil spring would (overall) behave as a
(500*150)/(500+150) = 115 lb/in  Installed height will have some
effect on the initial load on the spring, but them's the numbers.
But, ONLY if the wires of the springs are the same diameter and
material characteristics.

Donald.