RE: Carbon canistor - runs like cra...

To: "'Walt Fogle'" <foglew@hotmail.com>, speedracre@netzero.net
Subject: RE: Carbon canistor - runs like cra...
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:56:19 -0800
There is also another brass restrictor tube between the tank outlet and the
vapor canister in the trunk.  It has a needle-sized hole in it.  Mine got
plugged up several years ago and caused the gas tank to collapse (implode).
My engine would slowly increase in speed (idled at 2500 - 3000 RPM) as the
vacuum in the tank increased.  Popping the tank filler cap every so often
would released the vacuum and the engine would then settle down until the
vacuum built up again.

During restoration I cleaned and flushed out both carbon canisters with
water.  A lot of crud came out and now they seem to work fine.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)