Final drive gear ratios

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Final drive gear ratios
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:47:44 -0500
I was looking at the short thread on "Hopped-up Spits" and a couple of
people had mentioned their differential gear ratio, and I could have SWORN
that the early Spitfire Four to Mark 3 had the "fast" differential and that
the later 1500's had the "slow" (more rpms) differential.
But after looking at my "guide to originality" it looks like I had it
backwards. Spitfire 4 to Mark III had 4.11:1, the Mark IV had a 3.89:1 and
the 1500 had 3.69:1
I'm going on the assumption that the ratio is the number of drive shaft
turns per axle turn, as my Ford F5 has a massive 12" differential with a
6.75:1 ratio which supposedly gives it some really good torque.

Someone want to clear this up for me?

By the way, Thanks for all the advice on that square headed oil pan screw.
The knucle-buster (adjustible crecent wrench) did the trick. And it appears
to be an 11mm square head. I thank you and my car (no name yet) thanks you.

-Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland