Re: Reupholstery tips?

To: "Walt Fogle" <foglew@hotmail.com>, <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Reupholstery tips?
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:56:04 -0500
Walt Fogle enlightened us with

> I bought seat covers and foams for my '73 Spit last Spring.  I originally
> intended to recover the seats myself but, after consideration, took them
> a pro shop.  I'm really glad I did.
>
> Lot's of folks do the work themselves with excellent results.  I felt
better
> about letting a pro do the stretching, etc. so that I wouldn't rip the
> material (and raise my blood pressure to a dangerous level).  While the
> seats were out I took the time to sandblast and paint the seat rails and
do
> some interior detailing.  Good luck with your project.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Walt Fogle
...and I must concur. I also did the whole shooting match last year. I
worked ever so carefully because of the high cost of all the components
(upholstery, foams, straps, diaphragms, etc. I dry fitted, refitted,
measured, checked, etc. etc. before every punching a hole or glueing a
piece. I kept all the old pieces in their correct location relative to one
another in order to aid on reassembly. The installation instructions were
very limited ... I believe because they want to encourage you to use the
pros. I consulted all my spitfire books (and my TR6 rebuild book, and my TR4
books). and still was not pleased with the first seat. Some of the pieces I
couldn't figure out where they went. I have seen nice looking jobs done by
upholstery shops from scratch that cost less than what I spent on materials.
I should also add that mine were the highback MkIII seats which apparaently
were the most complex ones used by Triumph.

In the end, I stopped using glue and did not cut excess material but tucked
it away hoping the pros can fix it up. I stopped after the first seat. I'll
have it finished by the pros.

Just my .02, Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /