Re: Keys and locks

To: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Keys and locks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:30:23 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Ron St. John wrote:

> ...regarding the keys and locks for my 1970 Mk III....
>
> When I bought the car in 1975 I received from the PO two keys for the
> car.  One was the ignition key which obviously worked as I have been
> driving the car since then.  The other key was a small key with a
> rectangular head perpendicular to the stem (Wilmot Breeden UNION, made
> in England on the other side).  The small key was supposed to work the
> trunk and door locks.  Since purchasing the car the small key has not
> worked the door or trunk lock....
> the stem on the trunk handle that actuates the latch inside the trunk
> has 942 stamped on it.  The small key also has FS942 stamped on it.
> This seems to be a coincidence of vast proportions.

Not at all. That does indeed mean that the key you have matches the trunk
lock. As I recall, though, that is all it will fit. Many (most?) later Mk3
Spitfires used "FT" series double-sided keys for the door locks. They
originally matched the ignition key through 1969, but did not match the
key in a 1970 "Federal" ign/steering lock key (different lock
manufacturer, I believe).

> The small key fits into the trunk latch very well and its obvious that I
> need to continue to work on getting the lock mechanism freed up.  Any
> suggestions?  However, neither key fits in the door bullet locks.  Do
> other Spit owners of this vintage car have a third key for the door
> locks?  Suggestions?

See above. Yes, both my 1970 and 1972 GT6s had three keys: ignition,
door, trunk (hatch). My '69 Mk3 Spitfire only had the two keys, as it was
pre-column lock. I'm sitting here looking at my original keys to that car
as I type this. If I'm sufficiently motivated later today, I might go out
to the barn and try the keys in the doors and trunk lid (if I remember
where they are. You see, the car has been apart for, er, restoration
since about...well, never mind how long it's been apart for restoration)!

--Andy