Reverse gear setback

To: spits <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reverse gear setback
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:08:28 -0500
Greetings All; this is my 1st time writing in for advice since joining
the list digest a couple months ago. I've been restoring a 1970 MK3 with
the help of some tools and the abundant information on this list and in
the list archives.My situation pretty much has been in tune with Jeff
in San Diego as far as the obvious stuff I've had to do to this car
after its sitting in a garage for 16 years. Yesterday I fired up the
engine and , with the car still on stands, wanted to go through the
gears to check the tranny before closing up the tunnel cover,etc. Well,
the short version of the story is that I have no reverse. All 4 forward
speeds worked fine when gently releasing the clutch but alas, nothing at
all on reverse. Is there an adjustment of some kind to bring the
selector ball-end closer to tolerance on the shifter mechanism??(or
something like that) Here are some pertinent facts as things now stand;
*1970 MK3 Spit
*D-type OD
*only 29,000 miles (yes, really)
*gears 1 through 4 work fine
*reverse light comes on when shifter is in reverse position
*I replaced the anti-rattle bushings on the shifter arm
*DPO said "it pops out of reverse" (car didn't run when I purchased it
in October)
I removed the shifter arm cover and was able to pull the actual shift
mechanism into what I think is reverse,with the car not running of
course, but I can turn the drive shaft with no resistance. I suppose I'm
looking for a miracle fix to avoid having to pull the tranny, but just
thought maybe someone's been there, blah, blah, blah.....Any info or
advice would be much appreciated. Fortunately the temperature here in
New England is between zero and colder so I can practice a little
patience with this rebuild.
Kevin Thompson
Cape Cod, Ma.
1970 MK3 Spit  FDU79430LO
Hey Jeff, have you found any Silcroil out there yet ??