Re: honda s2000 (was Re: Nitrous Oxide)

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: honda s2000 (was Re: Nitrous Oxide)
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:26:11 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

> Yes, Nik;  That's precisely the point.  The S2000 engine was designed
> apparently taking many finer points from Honda's Racing effort.  All
> aluminum block and head reduce weight, high power band means that in
> order to reach the output that is advertised, the engine must be kept up
> in that range.  Not doing so just could mean that the engine might not
> be as reliable as the designers hope for.  I bet the race engine
> designers don't have much in the way of data from running their engines
> for long periods at 3000 rpm of less!  :)
>
> Joe

I may completely off--I certainly don't know everything--but I'd be
willing to say solidly that running an engine at lower r.p.m.s is not
going to hurt any engine, at least with regard to engine stress.  on some
racing engines and two stroke engines, you can have soot and cold fouling
problems, but running a street engine at a lower than max r.p.m. will not
shorten its life when compared to high r.p.m. operation.  it will have a
shorter operational life in that the owner is going to sell it when he (or
she, ladies ;-) ) finds out how gutless it is below six grand, but you
don't have to worry about mechanical stress/wear problems.

scott