Re: Best 1500 head

To: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Subject: Re: Best 1500 head
From: Scott Ruffner <jpr9c@cs.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:34:43 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ted,

I put the rest of the mods (not too drastic really) on the list, but here
it is:

a hotter cam
Dual HS2's
polish intakes & exhaust
CC & mill the head (larger valves?)
balance bottom end
header
electronic ignition (Allison XR700)

I would've expected the valves to make a more substantial difference.
Most of the more "modern" small engines I've seen that produce more power
typically do so by increasing the head's ability to breathe (4-5 valves,
better valve timing with OHC).  I realize that there are other important
things as well - ability to rev - such as a shorter stroke, lighter rods,
but aside from balancing the engine (which I'm planning to do), I can't
alter these nearly as easily.

I'm interested in street power, not a high-revving race engine which runs
poorly at a normal idle, and I like the idea of having reasonable low-end
torque.  However, I'm also wondering if my energies wouldn't be better
spent extracting more power from a 1300 with the small rods?

Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Regards,

Scott
--
Scott Ruffner                   Computer Science Department
Systems Engineer                226E Olsson Hall