Re: dashpot carb spit o-ring

To: drcarey@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: dashpot carb spit o-ring
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 22:09:10 -0500
I got the o-ring and the retaining clip from TRF.  They were about dollar
apiece.

The O-ring size is:

Outer dia: 9.5 mm
Inner dia: 6.0 mm
Thickness: 1.75 mm

I recommend replacing the retaining clip.  If it is weak,
the needle holder can push it up, and then the needle will move up and down
in the piston.  Also, beware that if you over-adjust the needle downwards
(lean),
it can force the retaining clip up out of position.

Also make sure that you clean out any crud from the place where the O-ring
and needle holder go.

I got the clip out with a dentist's pick, with a tiny hook bent in the end.
The job took about 5 minutes, once I removed the piston from the carb.

The leak went away, and the car runs better now that the needle is not loose...

Good luck,

Doug