Re: Engine identification

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Engine identification
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:32:44 -0700

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > As I said in my previous reply, I don't have any data on Dolomite
> > production.  But according to Graham Robson, the Dolomite 1300 was first
> > produced in 1965 and therefore your engine probably is (judging from the
> > serial number) an earlier one.  So It probably is either a '65 or '66
> > engine.
>
> Hold on, Joe: two very different beasts underneath somewhat similar basic
> body structures. The 1300 of 1965 was a front-wheel-drive sedan. Later
> the structure was re-engineered for rear wheel drive and became Toledo
> and ultimately various versions of Dolomite. In RWD form it used 1300 and
> 1500 versions of the "SC" engine but also used the 1850cc. slant four of
> the Saab and TR7. Then there's that four-valve-per-cylinder Sprint
> model... ok, I've stopped drooling.

Yes, Andy, The cars are indeed different and as I stated in my earlier
message the Dolomite 1300 was front wheel drive.  But it's the engine we
are attempting to quantify.  Since I have no hard data other than the
fact that the bore and stroke are the same as the Spitfire 1300, I was
drawng some comparisons for the benefit of Claes!  (Since nobody stepped
up with firm facts)!

> > The Spitfire version with twin SU HS2 carburetors had an output of 75 hp
> > at 6000 rpm.   The Dolomite engine with a single carb probably had
> > slightly less.  The Torque of the Spitfire version was 75 lb./ft. at
> > 4000 rpm and the Dolomite would have about the same or slightly less.
>
> Anyway, the average 1300 motor with single carburetor (SU or Stromberg)
> and no emission controls to speak of runs around 58-61 hp +/- at
> somewhere in the 5000 rpm range. Torque runs around the 70+ ft/lb range
> at somewhere in the 3000 rpm neighborhood.

And now I know how to draw out those allusive details.  Simply throw out
some speculation and wait for flames!  :)

Thanks for the details!

Regards,
Joe

> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer