Use of chlorinated solvents

To: Spitfire Discussion Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Use of chlorinated solvents
From: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 10:04:05 -0800
Spitfire list members:

I felt some clarification was in order regarding my suggestion to use a
chlorinated solvent.  I know quite a bit about chlorinated solvents as I
am a professional hydrogeologist and have worked in the hazardous waste
consulting industry for 20 years.  I provide expert testimony on the
fate and transport of chlorinated solvents in the environment.

I did not say to dispose of the solvents onto the ground.  I said to use
them to clean the brake parts.  Chorinated solvents will not degrade
during your usage time.  The reason why they are such prolific
environmental contaminants is a result of there wide use because of
superior cleaning ability and non-flammability.  Risk as a carcinogen
due to direct contact is not an issue unless your washing with it every
day of your life.

Ron St. John