Rotors -- worth saving? Procedures?

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rotors -- worth saving? Procedures?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:17:33 -0800
Hello all...  I'm in the process of a brake rebuild and it doesn't look like
the brakes have been used in quite awhile.  I'm very green regarding this
stuff and looking at the rotors (see
http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/projects/front_wheel_right.jpg for a photo) I
noticed some very slight surface rust.  My first inclination is to try and
save them by going over the surface with some steel wool or very fine grit
sandpaper to clean them up.  Are there any reasons I shouldn't attempt this?
Would the brakes be fine if I just left them as is?  Or am I asking for big
trouble and should simply purchase new rotors?  Is there any special trick
to resurfacing them?  THANKS in advance.

Jeff (San Diego)