fs: racing spit for autox

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: fs: racing spit for autox
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 11:38:10 -0500
Fred,
    Even on the round tail spit, with less tire clearance than the square
tails, you can go bigger than 175's.  Right now I am using the same tires on
the street as those I autox on, figuring I don't drive that far anyway.
    I am using 185/60/13 Yokohama A008R on all four corners without any
rubbing, even though I am lowered in all corners (again decreasing
clearance).  I was beginning to become less than aesthetically pleased with
my spit until I bumped up the tire size.  Now it looks less rickety.  I
would recommend picking up a set of TR7 wheels at this size, however, from
Team Triumph or TSI to limit the bulge in the side wall.  The 7 wheels I got
look nearly identical to my 76 spit wheels since they have the same hole
pattern.
    Moving up to this tire size has made such a dramatic improvement in the
handling of the car that it no longer seems like the same car to me.  I am
even considering trying 205/60/13 yokos in the rear to get rid of some of
the excessive inherent spit oversteer.
    For a street tire, since most spits don't get many miles, I recommend
Yoko AVS Intermediates.  Great grip and still good wear at $65 a piece, not
bad, and come in the right size.
Hope this helps,
Jim Libecco
76 ESP spit/summer daily driver