Dealer installed locking glovebox

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dealer installed locking glovebox
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:22:26 -0800
My first '67 Spitfire had a rather cool option that was originally installed
by the San Francisco dealer when the car was first sold:  A locking
glovebox.  Going from memory, it was basically a plywood section cut to fit
the stock glovebox opening, with a rectangular shaped door, lock mechanism
and it was painted black with a crinkle finish.  Does anyone still have one
of these?  Or was it something exclusive to the dealership that my car came
from?  I found it a very handy option and enjoyed having it.  I'm probably
going to re-create one for the '67 Spitfire I just bought.

Also, on my old Spitfire, the soft top latching mechanism was different than
anything I've seen in all the recent catalogs.  It was more of a "latch",
almost like the sort you would see on a lunchpail or toolbox (in much larger
scale, of course), rather than the paddle-type flipper mechanism of later
Spitfires.  The car I just bought has the factory steel hardtop, but no soft
top or frame (I'm not sure if it EVER had one) but the top rail on the
windshield looks like it requires the type of fastener that I had, rather
than the later style that seems to be readily available.  Any idea where I
might find the fittings and/or top frame that I need?

Many thanks as I embark on my quest to recreate my original Spitfire, and
hence, my youth.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3