Out of country sale -- problems or surprises?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Out of country sale -- problems or surprises?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:31:33 -0800
Hi everyone.  I just re-sold the '68 Spitfire I bought on e-Bay a few weeks
ago after finding my "dream" '67 Mk3 Spitfire.  The winning bidder lives in
Norway and plans to have the car shipped to him.  I have requested a
certified bank check, drawn for the winning bid amount in U.S. funds, and
that the International transport co. pick the car up at my home, rather than
having to drive it to a dock somewhere.

Has anyone ever had the experience of selling and exporting a U.S. vehicle
to another country?  Are there any surprise tarrifs, taxes, penalties or
otherwise additional expenses that I might be forced to incur?  My auction
specified "seller to ship to home country only", so I suppose I would be
within my rights to withdraw the vehicle should there be unknown pitfalls
that I'm unaware of.  If there aren't any, then I'll be happy to fulfill the
sale to the buyer.  Any advice with someone experienced in this area would
be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3