Re: bimonthly supplier gripe

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bimonthly supplier gripe
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:05:53 -0500
Yeah, we really should take a lesson when we get poor service like that.
I've had similar problems with any major parts suppliers Victoria British/
LMC truck, MAC's Antique Auto parts (Ford stuff), and others.

Sometimes you give into those super-saver deals though.

I had a kit ordered from Mac's and the item was delivered factory direct
missing one part and included two of another. The VP of sales of Mac's
himself called me at home to appologize for any inconvenience and had
the missing part out to me within a week. It's service like that, which
ultimately decides who you'll purchase the part from.

I'm still waiting on a rubber gasket I purchased from LMC Truck (VB's alter
ego) about 8 months ago. (It's only $12, but it's still annoying me.)

People that give you consistantly good service do tend to be the smaller
businesses. Nigel at SpitBits hasn't always had the best prices, but the
informativeness and the knowledge that I'm getting the right part is worth
the few extra lucre. (Ask Nigel if something's back ordered and he'll ask
you in his British accent "Back-ordered? What's that?")

Ted's company "TSI British Imports" is the same way. Small company. Super
duper service. (Am I the only one that wishes Ted were his next door
neighbor to give advice on car stuff?).

I'm not trying to put the big three out of business. But I think it's good
that America's small businesses are regaining a foot-hold in market place.
I'm really sick and tired of these minimum wage paying warehouse, members
only clubs, supposedly best buy, 100% customer neglecting, businesses
making their millions off of the lemming like droves of zombified customers
that believe every sale advertisement that they read. "Well, it says it's
the cheapest price ever, so it must be!".

And with the increase in E-trade, I think you're going to see a resurgance
of the small business owner.

Unlike those large warehouse stores that save you pennies by buying in bulk,
the small businesses are going to save you money by having low over-head.
(Few employees to pay. No large warehouse to rent. And if you're purchasing
out-of-state: no sales tax. And occasionally the same benefits...free
shipping with large purchases, and preferred customer discounts.)

You'll always have the need for stores where you can drive to at 5:00pm on
a saturday to get that left handed tapered spanner widget to fix the drip of
your bathroom faucet. But I hope that more people realize the true value of
good customer service and appreciate the experience and honest advice of
people, like Ted Schumacher, to keep patronizing their establishments.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland (but considering a move to Ohio to be closer to Ted, so he can
help me install my electronic distributor.)